Kellita Smith/Xinava and Project Griffin

Randomness at the wheel driving to insanityville. It's a place for help. Recently this area has become a flaming battleground. Will the incessant fighting please stop?!
geesehoward4life

06 Mar 2007, 16:32 #1

Kellita Smith is best known from the Bernie Mac show. A TV comedy where she played his wife. She also made numerous appearances on Nash Bridges... lemme see... this should sum it up;
Kellita Smith is an American actress. Her height is 5' 10". She is best known for her role as Wanda McCullogh on The Bernie Mac Show, as the independent, career-savvy wife of Bernie Mac.
Smith has held recurring roles on CBS' Nash Bridges, UPN's Malcolm & Eddie, FOX Television's Martin, the WB's Jamie Foxx Show, Sister, Sister and NYPD. She co-starred in Fox Searchlight's Kingdom Come starring Whoopi Goldberg, Miramax's The Crossing Guard with Jack Nicholson directed by Sean Penn and New Line Cinema's House Party III. She developed her acting talent by a chance-casting in the play, Tell It Like It Tiz, which toured the U.S. for two years.
Other theatrical credits include the Los Angeles productions of No Place To Be Somebody at the K.C. Theatre Company, Feelings (The Hudson Theatre) for which she won an NAACP Theatre Award for Best Supporting Actress, and The Thirteenth Thorn (Complex Theatre) for which she was nominated for an NAACP Theatre Award for Best Actress.
Smith was born in Chicago and raised in Oakland and now calls Los Angeles her home. In her spare time, she practices other art forms such as fencing, Tae Kwon Do, snowmobile riding, tennis and sculpting. Ultimately, Smith wants to "envision myself as the next action heroine."
She has appeared in magazines such as Savoy, People, TV Guide, Dysonna, Esquire, Black Men, Emmy, Fitness, Oil of Olay, Glamour, Vanity Fair, Cosmopolitan, Jet, Today's Black Woman, Stuff, and Essence.
In 2001, Smith created a production company called Strange Fruit.
------------------------------------------------------------
The character of Xinava is introduced in the very beginning of Lady Yoma. Xinava is from an alternate dimension and it is actually the events at the very beginning of Lady Yoma that will come into play much much much later in the book series. Either way, the original concept of Xinava comes from the book Project Griffin.
Project Griffin was another of my earlier writings that I simply would just DO. I started randomly writing down ideas for PJG somewhere around summer of 95. Xinava's family is high up in the United States government and military branches. Her father is military and works for the Pentagon and her mother is a United States Senator.
Her family has had strong ties to Washington for generations and when the Black Ops Eugenics Program; Project Griffin was proposed, testing was done for "the Commonwealth", "the Known" and "the Tainted."
So the concept of Tainted, that appears in Walking Dead, actually comes from my ramblings and writings of Project Griffin. Gogo and Yuki Yubari are Tainted, due to their rape by the Mazuchi Clan when they were living the street life of child prostitution and god knows what else. Well in Project Griffiin, the Tainted are actually homeless test subjects that were subjected to Eugenics treatments to see if they could be endowed with paranormal abilities. Many homeless shelters were combed for those who had literally disappeared from society and fallen to the point where friends and family were either unaware of where the person had disappeared to OR, they simply had no one who would come looking for them.
The Enemy, comes from the Tainted. He is also introduced at the very beginning of Lady Yoma.
Xinava, on the other hand, comes from the Known. The Known are the control aspects of Project Griffin. They have gone through the complete process, were tested prior and showed aptitude for the eugenics process, but ALSO, they come from standing within the United States influential. Xinava herself served in the military and eventually landed a job in field ops and moved up the ladder to become a liason to the Pentagon.
Either way, Xinava is all that the Enemy is not. So you see where this is going, right? Image While the Enemy could care less about what targets they are given, Xinava is a Girl Scout. She is well-mannered, but not prissy. Intelligent, but not overbearing. Independent (sp) but not to the point of being brash and needing to prove how independent she is. Her biggest aspects are her courage, sense of right and wrong, loyalty, patroitism and her heart.
She is a very warm and caring woman, who will risk herself to help others... this almost got her removed from the candidates list, till she tested so well that it was too well. This would ultimately prove to be her undoing. Among the Known, she ended up becoming a Free Former. Her powers were limited only by her imagination...
Among the Tainted, the Enemy became a Free Former. So they gave HIM all the Dirty Work, and gave her thee... less complicated stuff! Image Meaning is obvious. Anything that involved... possible complications, violations, etc... well they let the Enemy do that and all of the above board assignments they gave to Xinava.
Among the Commonwealth a certain man developed the power to Kill Free Formers, so he was of course the fail safe for both Xinava and the Enemy.
In the end, as usual, the powers-that-be, thought it would be a GREAT IDEA to start pairing Xinava with the Enemy... see where this is going right. This of course pissed off Xinava's parents who knew right off the bat that what they were hoping was that the two would connect and become an item. Let it be noted that projects of this magnitude always have psych profiles done and they were well aware that Xinava's patriotism and nationalist ZEAL, ie; mindless follower, would immediately jell with the Enemy's "when do I get paid and boy is this bitch stupid" mentality. Image
In the end, they started to conflict over their drastically different views of life, the world, even the country they served. However, it is amazing what survival and death does to people. The profiling proved correct and the two eventually became a couple. We've seen it a gazillion times; the woman trying to redeem a man who shows that at one point he used to care, but let life get him down to the point of who cares.
But... as time passed, the Enemy encounters an enclave within Project Griffin who finds out who he originally was. They begin slightly pushing and nudging him and trying to remind him of what he USED TO believe in. The Enemy is also well aware that he and Xinava's superiors are intentionally keeping Xinava AWAY FROM the things that he and HE ALONE is sent to do, along with some members of the Commonwealth.
The Commonwealth of Project Griffin are best compared to the Middle Class of any country. They were randomly tested, without their knowledge, when they would visit their doctors. They were then screened and approached on a case-by-case basis. If they accepted, then they underwent eugenics, if they refused, they underwent a rather permenant change in health. Image Image
Eventually they hoped that The Enemy would rub off enough on Xinava to gray some of her hardline stances on things she would not do. He realizes this and does not go along with it. Which I wrote out some rather funny parts for. Nothing like trying to change your way of lookin at things when you realize that a bunch of idiots are hoping that your negativity will wear away JUST ENUFF of this woman that you've fallen in love with, so that the two of you can REALLLLY DO BAD THINGS! Image
In another part of the Eugenics Program, a man RECOGNIZES who The Enemy used to be and begins trying to warn his superiors that he is NOT someone who should even have been allowed into Project Griffin regardless of being Tainted or not. As this old adversary of The Enemy tries to warn his superiors, the Enclave continues to try to re-awaken The Enemy to return to being the man he USED TO BE. Caught in the middle of this is Xinava, who is starting to realize that he is trying to shield her from something.
Ultimately, the Enclave succeeds, meanwhile the old rival from the past reveals the aspects of the background check that had been missed. The Enemy was a staunch Black Nationalist early in his life and caused much trouble with his rants! The Project Leaders dismiss it as information they already knew and point out that all he cares about now is Xinava and all of his perks... until the guy points out that what will happen if Xinava gets pregnant now that they're married?
At first this is dismissed until they start doing long-term projections and realize that they don't know whether or not any child that the two of them have will be a Free Former or what? The Enemy eventually revolts and goes rogue! Xinava is sent to bring him back. A series of battles take place between the two as Xinava holds steadfast to her oath to serve the State, while The Enemy decides to serve the People. The opening of Lady Yoma is actually the end of Project Griffin where the only way they can stop The Enemy is to dispatch the only person who can kill Free Formers.
Xinava is sent to the top of the world where The Enemy is trying to tear open a hole between the Spirit Realm and earth and unleash the hundreds of millions of souls who died in the Middle Passage. Needless to say that these souls are NOT at rest and long to destroy those who killed them. If you know anything about Black history you will know that they won't just attack Whites, but Blacks and a number of others who had participated in the Slave Trade of Africa.
I was told by one person who I let read this that it was the single most unexpected thing that they never saw coming, because they could very well imagine that the souls of these people would not exactly be... very friendly towards ANYBODY! Image
Because The Enemy is... well the Enemy, he also decides to melt the polar ice cap as insurance for when Xinava would show up so that she'd be a little too busy to meddle in his End of the World type move. Sure enough, Xinava confronts him and the two engage in a test of wills with not only their powers, but also a debate breaks out over what is right and wrong and what will all of this solve. You see where this is headed right? Xinava believes that her superiors will allow her to try first before sending in the Assassin.
Of course they don't wait, world's on the verge of being destroyed one way or another. The Enemy is aware of the Assassin, but Free Formers cannot detect him... however when you're hovering at the top of the world, it gets a little hard to creep up on somebody, even when you can fly and turn invisible. The Enemy stops shielding Xinava and shows her everything that he has done and who told him to do so...
Well of course you know it was her father and mother Image and all orders are signed off on by the National Security Advisor. Which means of course the President is aware, but if anything goes public, well, it was all the NSA's fault, DAMN THEM! Image Ahhh, politics... Image
The Assassin takes the shot, but Xinava shields her man and gets killed, The Enemy then kills the Assassin... and things have now gone all to hell. Xinava's parents are terminated for failure and to clean-up this crap. Anticipating that this was all gonna go straight to hell in a handbasket, a gateway device was moved into the area by the soon to be dead Executive General of Project Griffin. The device is activated while the Spirits cross over. The Enemy absorbs the spirits, gaining even more power, which is really a bad thing, but he uses that initial surge to absorb Xinava into himself and starts using his powers to try and force HER SOUL to merge with HIS.
Because of all of this, he cannot resist the gravitational pull of the Gateway device. Since he has never attempted to dimensional travel, it is hoped that he will NEVER be able to get back to their dimension... he vows to kill them all as he willingly enters the device and it self-destructs. Since the technology was experimental to begin with, they were hoping that he was cast either into some sort of limbo or nothingness, but what fun would that be, right? Image
Lady Yoma is introduced as having a nightmare of seeing that last moment all unfold... but because she is Japanese... she can't make sense of the words of her vision. Later in Chapter One, in a similar fit of rage, Lady Yoma rips a whole in the dimensional barrier that blocks others from entering her home dimension...

serenitymarina

09 Mar 2007, 04:43 #2

I didn't read the whole article yet, but I will.
A Q before I leave?
How many no Asian characters will Lady Yoma have?
I liked the hidden message of "get out of the streets and get a job", that you give with the Tainted.

geesehoward4life

11 Mar 2007, 07:38 #3

How many non-Asian characters will appear in Lady Yoma? Plenty. Even now, I am about to get into the fact that Lady Yoma has to repair the damage to the Great Barrier... but she can't fix it from earth, so she must travel back to the point in physical space that her mother created it at. This means she will be headed out into space to the old-defunct Space Station Zero... which of course will have Yokai already awaiting her since they know she has to come here and seal it.

geesehoward4life

16 Mar 2007, 21:02 #4

This is depressing. I see no new work for Kellita? Image WTF? I remember after watching Inside Man, that Denzel and Spike were talking to each other and Spike said "What is up with the roles for Black women?" and Denzel was really up front as usual that they really don't HAVE any roles. A number have had reoccuring roles or the Lucy Liu Syndrome, as far as I am concerned, but the number of good, quality roles?
Ha. Practically non-existant. I had to shut someone up yesterday after they claimed Kill Bill was "empowering to and for Women." I told him straight-up, I'm not somebody whose not guilty of Guy Vices, but act like you have a brain.
I listed a few quick snippets and the guy got real quite and I told him, Lucy Liu tried to say that "It's a Tarantino movie, don't go if you don't like him or this kind of movie."
I told the guy, this is why she's clueless. If you're entertainment is mindless and showers you with BS, and this is what you "relax to"? Then if this is what you are filling your head with, then you can't be shocked when people look at you sideways and stupid. If you realize that its just fluff fantasy, then you'll be okay, but if you think that it has some sort of "empowering quality for women"? You... are in trouble.
I'd like to see a lot more of Kellita... I think that my idea for Chiaki can benefit Kellita and many more actresses. I just gotta finish the book and test a few theories first.
Later!

geesehoward4life

17 May 2007, 11:34 #5

It is ridiculous! I can't find anything recent on Kellita, which is just a damn disgrace! @#%$ can those old bastards and bitches at the "Academy Awards" show that crappy ass slideshow of women, when women like Kellita can't find constant work!?

geesehoward4life

23 May 2007, 06:37 #6

Xinava makes her first reappearance in the book since her initial unnamed introduction at the very beginning of Lady Yoma.

geesehoward4life

29 May 2007, 22:08 #7

Nowwww I'm pickin up steam! Chap 5 is DONE!!!! I started Chapter 6 the other day, but Chapter 5 closes with Xinava and Sayoko talking to each other. Sayoko recognizes that Xinava is the woman from her nightmares that opened the book.
What happens next is a cat and mouse game where Sayoko tries to decide whether she should tell someone that Xinava has crossed the Great Barrier! While Xinava tells Sayoko in plain Japanese that she knows ALLLL ABOUT Sayoko's little secrets and about how much she has had to struggle alone with her insecurities, anxieties, fears and lack of companionship!
It is a funny back-and-forth where it is almost like watching a little sister, Sayoko, try to escape the observational comments of her big sister, Xinava. I'm pretty pleased with the interaction between the two!

geesehoward4life

10 Jun 2007, 14:47 #8

Still continuing the dialogue between Xinava and Sayoko and I've also finally re-introduced Xinava's lover who has yet to actually appear. He holds a telepathic conversation with Xinava while Xinava is using her powers to show Sayoko an important conversation between Alison and Song-Yune, and then the conversation between Empress Kou and Daifu. All and all I am pleased with this, but still irked that Kellita Smith herself has nothing on the acting plate that is upcoming...
So Lucy Liu gets to make flops and flounder while Kellita Smith gets to stew in her own juices? Image Mmmm, tasty Image Image Image
LATER!

geesehoward4life

17 Jul 2007, 17:00 #9

Finally saw an update to Kellita Smith's IMDB resume, so she appears to finally be working on something. I have also started Chapter 7 which gives more details into Xinava and why she has come to Tsuchiura and Sayoko in particular.

geesehoward4life

12 Aug 2007, 20:58 #10

Well, Chapter 7 has taken a bit longer than I wanted, really the whole book has, but that's another story. Right now I have finished the fight between Xinava and Alison and shown some more insight into who Xinava is, but it still is just surface stuff. Chapter 8 will focus more on the implosion of Sayoko and the Yoma Council of Elders, but I figure by Chapter 9 I will really be able to get into the heart of who Xinava really is.
She is very very different from the woman who is intro'd in Chapter One in the nightmare visions that Sayoko was having, but I still have yet to really delve into her and who she really is.